By Veterans Reporter News -June 4, 2019
By: Megan Way | Photos by Su Phelps and Lawrence Oravetz
Crowds of people from various veterans and veteran supporter organizations and over a hundred golfers all came to Las Vegas National Golf Course (1911 E Desert Inn Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89109) early morning (7 a.m.) on May 18th for the Greater Nevada Detachment 186 Marine Corps League’s (GND-186-MCL) 9th Annual Golf Tournament. This event was been a popular local fundraising veteran’s event for years now and the crowds and many organization booths at the tournament show the event’s popularity off. Mobile beverage and snacks cart were running throughout the course for people to buy refreshments. The tournament’s planning has been going on for months now. From gathering sponsors and volunteers, the GND-186-MCL worked hard to bring the event to everyone. All the proceeds of the tournament are spread out to the following local organizations and their causes:
• 22 Warriors Foundation is the Nevada Division of Warriors Suicide Prevention Foundation (WSP Foundation), a veteran-founded, operated and governed nonprofit dedicated to eliminating veteran suicides.
• Red, White and Blue Dog T.A.G.S. is a nonprofit pairing rescue dogs to veterans to create teams that understand each other.
• Toys for Tots program collects new, unwrapped toys and distributes them, helping to bring the joy of Christmas and a message of hope through the gift of a new toy
• The Nevada Outdoor Adventure Foundation is a nonprofit that makes outdoor dreams come true for children, young adults with life-threatening illnesses and for disabled veterans
• Devil Pups is a leadership camp comprising of challenge, teamwork, discipline and education for boys and girls.
• Heroes in the Rough aims at improving the quality of life for wounded veterans and their families by provided rehabilitative experience through outdoor activities
A part of the numerous sponsors include; Findlay Cadillac (who donated a Cadillac for the Hole-in-One Award), Enterprise Rent-A-Car, The Outdoor Foundation, Veterans Reporter News, Encore Upholstery & Design, Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp., Big Gun Enterprises, Boulevard Bar & Grille, T-Mobile, Mountain America Credit Union, The Leatherneck Club, Kona Ice, Sundance Helicopters and Apical Aspect.